Fat Beehive is seeking a flexible and versatile PHP / Drupal or WordPress Developer to join our growing team: a natural problem solver who wants to make a difference every time they step into the office, not just on Red Nose Day. This is a mid-level position, working with and under the mentorship of more experienced developers.
Ideally, you’ll have experience of both Drupal and WordPress but open to a preference for one or the other.
You should be an all-round coder and be able to jump in with object-oriented PHP. You may have Drupal 8 projects under your belt or a good Drupal 7 portfolio combined with experience with Symfony, and have done RESTful API integrations, usually with the help of Guzzle. Or as a WordPress Developer, you can demonstrate your skills through a strong portfolio of sites of varying complexity and are able to code object-oriented plugins. You’re comfortable using the command line and always look for ways to optimise workflow.
We especially encourage applications from women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are underrepresented throughout the technology industry.
Key duties & responsibilities
Technical planning, 10%
- Work with our Technical Lead to define and propose the best technical approach for each project.
- Plan your tasks in a Kanban Agile style (we’ll teach you this) that meets the agreed budget and timings.
- Be curious about and keep up to date with the progress of PHP and other web technologies.
Drupal OR WordPress development, 85%
- Collaborate with designers/frontend developers to deliver entire sites and web apps.
- Write clean, efficient and readable code.
- Be expert in Drupal and/or WordPress development (all new sites are in Drupal 8).
- Be familiar with object-oriented concepts used in PHP frameworks (such as Symfony, Zend, etc), database abstraction layers etc.
- Understand how to write efficient MySQL queries without the support of frameworks or CMSs.
- Have used version control software such as Mercurial or Git.
- Have experience with Linux/Unix command line environment.
- Have integrated with third party APIs such as Salesforce or CiviCRM.
- Be passionate about coding quality and meeting standards.
- Be able to communicate technical aspects to non-technical people.
- Be considerate of time and budget allocations (so we can pay the bills!)
- Accurately track time spent and ensure efficient production.
- Represent Fat Beehive and network at industry events to further our profile and attract the best talent and business.
- Create: Build websites and apps, in Drupal or WordPress.
- Scope: Gather requirements, come up with technical solutions, input into technical specifications.
- Contribute: Contribute back to to the Drupal community.Nice to have
It would be an advantage to also:
- Have an understanding of Linux / AWS server management.
- Experience in both WordPress and Drupal
- Relevant computer science degree or more.
What we offer
£25-35K salary depending on skills and experience.
Other benefits include a training budget, pension scheme, 10am start to the day, drinks on Fridays, and a weekly chair massage (from a qualified masseuse) to prevent RSI.
95% of our clients are charity and not-for-profit organisations. We actively seek to work with this type of client and this means you’ll get to work with some very nice people indeed.
About Fat Beehive
We are a small team who work in a relaxed, informal office in the heart of Shoreditch. There is often cake. There is often music playing. We don’t have a ping pong table, table football or an office dog (and we have no plans to get one). We tolerate beards, but only because Danny has one. We hire and work with people who are focused on the charity and not-for-profit sector, who love and follow the web’s developments but who stop at the weekend to do something totally different.
Complete the application form below.