Fat Beehive is seeking a Head of Technology to lead on technical strategy and development across the agency as well as mentor and manage a talented team of developers.
You should have a passion for the charity and not-for-profit sector, a strong portfolio that reflects this sector and the work we do. At Fat Beehive, we plan, design and build WordPress and Drupal websites as well as webapps and occasional campaigns and branding for charities, social enterprises and NGOs.
We especially encourage applications from women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are under-represented throughout the technology industry.
This is a key role in the agency, part of the senior management team and would suit an ambitious, self-motivated, versatile development leader. You’ll likely already be in a similar role or looking for your next step up, with the profile and responsibilities that come with leading the technical division of an agency.
Key duties & responsibilities
Technical direction, 15%
- Develop a long-term strategy for technical development and server management at Fat Beehive.
- Define how to manage and maintain legacy code and technical debt.
- Design a range of testing options to suit different types of projects, from manual to automated testing.
- Ensure everything we make and host is secure and adheres to industry standards.
- Keep abreast of the latest changes in technical standards and be proactive in seeking their implementation.
Pitching and technical planning, 20%
- Prepare for and attend pitches for new business.
- Energise and inspire clients to buy our technical approach for their website or application.
- Contribute to complex technical specifications that clients can understand and sign off on, as well as effectively direct developers.
- Help Producers and Account Managers gather technical requirements, propose solutions for and cost up the development of entire sites as well as specific features.
- Ensure all projects are approached as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Develop sometimes simple, but often complex, multilingual WordPress and Drupal websites.
- Integrate with a wide range of CRMs, APIs and third-party services.
- Run a version-controlled development environment, using GIT.
- Keep up to date with and push the agency’s technology towards best practises and the latest innovations in web development.
- Regularly contribute back to the open-source communities.
- Present your own as well as the team’s development to clients at all levels.
Mentoring and coaching, 20%
- Set and maintain coding standards for all developers to follow, including permanent staff, contractors and third-party suppliers.
- Ensure regular peer reviews and mentor and coach developers to reach their full potential.
- Conduct yearly appraisals and meet team members regularly to ensure they’re meeting their training and development needs.
- Be a point of escalation for all projects as well as the Support Desk.
- Represent Fat Beehive and network at industry events to further our profile and attract the best talent and business.
- Work with the Head of Creative and Head of Production to continually optimise ways to plan and deliver projects.
- Accurately track time spent and ensure efficient production.
- Web development for WordPress and/or Drupal sites.
- Ideally, also some frontend development, using HTML and CSS. We use Twig/SASS.
- A portfolio of wider development experience is advantageous, such as mobile.
- Familiar with both traditional and agile development. We practise Kanban Agile.
- Experience in an agency environment preferred.
- Experience of leading and developing teams.
- A charity / NFP / social enterprise enthusiast
What we offer
£55K plus bonuses
Other benefits include a 6% matched pension contribution, profit share scheme, quarterly bonus, training budget, 1K dental cover, income protection, personal health and wellbeing allowance, season ticket loan, drinks on Fridays, and a regular chair massage (from a qualified masseuse) to prevent RSI.
All of our clients are charity and not-for-profit organisations. We actively seek to work with this type of client and this means you’ll get to work with some very nice people indeed.
About Fat Beehive
We are a small professional team who work in a relaxed, informal office in the heart of Shoreditch. There is often cake. There is often music playing. We don’t have a ping pong table, table football or an office dog (and we have no plans to get one). We tolerate beards, but only because Danny has one. We hire and work with people who are focused on the charity and not-for-profit sector, who love and follow the web’s developments but who stop at the weekend to do something totally different.
We don’t work for oil, mining, arms, banking and sweatshops. But we do work for charities that challenge these and more. Join us.
Complete the application form below.
We especially encourage applications from women, BAME, and disabled candidates. We are an accredited London Living Wage and Disability Confident employer.
We already work with selected recruiters, so ask that other recruiters don’t contact us.