Fat Beehive is seeking a mid-weight front end developer, with a focus on attention to detail and keeping on top of the ever changing front end landscape. The developer should also have a strong design eye and can extrapolate from a narrow set of flat designs to build a wider range of templates.
At Fat Beehive, we research, design and build websites, run discovery and strategy workshops and produce vibrant brands for charities, social enterprises and NGOs. Ideally, you would have a passion for the charity sector and a portfolio of work that reflects this sector and the work we do – or be able to demonstrate skills and understanding that can be readily transferred.
This role would suit a curious, creative developer already in a similar role or looking to move from client to agency-side. We’re a small and friendly team providing creative freedom and the chance to shape the role. Plus, you get to work with our fantastic clients – all of which make a genuine positive impact on our societies.
We are open to full or part-time applicants and particularly encourage applications from women, disabled and Black candidates, as these groups are underrepresented throughout the creative and technology industries. We offer flexible working arrangements for parents or carers who want to balance their commitments at home.
Key duties & responsibilities
Frontend development, 70%
- Develop clean, efficient and accessible HTML/Twig, SASS and JS stacked sites
- Rollout frontend templates from a narrower set of flat designs.
- Collaborate with backend developers to deliver entire sites and web apps
- Test and optimise your frontend for responsiveness, cross-browser compatibility
- Meet performance budgets and accessibility standards.
Standards refinement, 20%
- Support the Head of Tech in raising our Front End delivery standards
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the web community and the changes coming across browsers and web technologies
- Compliment and improve our processes and testing across the various Core Web Vitals (Performance, Accessibility, Best Practice).
- Plan your tasks in a Kanban Agile style (we will teach you this) that meets the agreed budget and timings
- Understand and use Jira to manage your workload and prioritise tasks
- Accurately estimate and track time spent to ensure efficient production.
- Frontend development using Twig & SASS
- Comfortable working with a task manager (Gulp, Grunt, WebPack etc.)
- Design eye to rollout templates from an overall visual direction. A design background would be beneficial for this role.
- Aware of accessibility methods and user needs.
- Know what FCP, FMP, TTI mean
- Use of a version control system (ideally Git)
What we offer
£30K to £35K
Other benefits include:
- Profit Share (shared equally) and quarterly bonus
- 27 days annual leave, 2 volunteer days per year and an extra day of leave for each year worked (up to 5 extra days)
- Matched pension contribution up to 6%
- Dental Plan, Income Protection and Death in Service benefit
- Health and Wellbeing Budget
- Season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Dedicated training budget
- Flexible and fair working culture
- Free Friday drinks – and team lunch every month.
The role will report to our Head of Technology, Greg.
About Fat Beehive
We are a small team of about 23 who, when not working from home, work in relaxed, informal offices in a converted warehouse in Borough (London) and Ancoats (Manchester). There is often cake. There is often music playing. We don’t have a ping pong table, table football or an office dog (although an office rabbit has been suggested!).
Fat Beehive is dedicated to providing a friendly, relaxed, safe, fulfilling and fair work environment – see what it’s like. We want to create an environment where people want to come to work – one that engages them to give their best.
We’ve all chosen to work in the charity design sector because we want to help bring about positive social change – and we know that starts with us as individuals. We’re always challenging ourselves to work in a way that puts awareness of power, diversity and inclusivity at its heart.
We don’t work for oil, mining, arms, banking and sweatshops. But we do work for charities that challenge these and more. Come join us.
Complete the application form below.
We already work with selected recruiters, so ask that other recruiters don’t contact us.