Fat Beehive is seeking skilled and creative mid-weight frontend developers to expand our freelance talent pool. We prefer to hire designers who also code frontend, or coders with a strong eye for design, believing that this produces better, responsive design and a more efficient design phase.
You should ideally have a passion for the charity sector, an outstanding portfolio of work and be able to demonstrate skills and understanding of user experience and accessibility. At Fat Beehive, we research, design and build WordPress and Drupal websites as well as web apps and occasional campaigns for charities, social enterprises and NGOs.
We are open to full or part-time applicants and particularly encourage applications from women, disabled and racialised minority candidates, as these groups are underrepresented throughout the technology industry. We offer flexible working arrangements for parents or carers who want to balance their commitments at home.
This role would suit an ambitious, self-motivated, creative designer already in a similar role or looking to move from client to agency-side.
Key duties & responsibilities
Frontend development, 60%
- Develop clean, efficient and accessible HTML/Twig and SASS.
- Collaborate with backend developers to deliver entire sites and web apps.
- Test and optimise your frontend for responsiveness, cross-browser compatibility and accessibility.
- Work to existing front-end standards and frameworks with the design team.
Interface design, 20%
- Interpret user research and recommendations into beautiful, suitable user-centric interface designs.
- Keep up to date with best practices and the latest innovations in web design.
- Create and adapt your bespoke designs for each client organisation and their users’ needs
Wireframing and UX, 10%
- Be curious about and understand how different audiences behave online.
- Work with our user research team to interpret the most relevant insights for each project.
- Occasional involvement in UX workshops and client design presentations.
- Plan your tasks to meet agreed budget and timings.
- Understand and use Jira to manage your workload and prioritise tasks.
- Accurately estimate and track time spent to ensure efficient production.
- A portfolio of excellent design, preferably for WordPress and Drupal sites.
- Frontend development using Twig/SASS.
- Clear and open communication skills, currently mostly using Slack and Google Meet.
- Experience of an agency environment preferred.
- Relevant design and computer science knowledge – degree or self-taught.
Day rate circa £250, depending on experience.
The role will report to our Head of Creative, with a dotted line to the Head of Tech.
About Fat Beehive
Of course, we’re all currently working from home, though when it’s open we’re are a small team of about 23 who usually work in a relaxed, informal office in a converted warehouse in Borough. There is often cake. There is often music playing. We don’t have a ping pong table, table football or an office dog (although an office rabbit has been suggested!).
Fat Beehive is dedicated to providing a friendly, relaxed, safe, fulfilling and fair work environment. We want to create an environment where people want to come to work – one that engages them to give their best.
We’ve all chosen to work in the charity web design sector because we want to help bring about positive social change – and we know that starts with us as individuals. We’re always challenging ourselves to work in a way that puts awareness of power, diversity and inclusivity at its heart.
We don’t work for oil, mining, arms, banking and sweatshops. But we do work for charities that challenge these and more. Come join us.
Complete the application form below.
We already work with selected recruiters, so ask that other recruiters don’t contact us.