Fat Beehive is seeking a skilled and creative digital designer with a focus on creating delightful user experiences. You might also have interest or experience in UX and/or branding and visual identities.
At Fat Beehive, we research, design and build websites, run discovery and strategy workshops and produce vibrant brands for charities, social enterprises and NGOs. Ideally, you would have a passion for the charity sector and a portfolio of work that reflects this sector and the work we do – or be able to demonstrate skills and understanding that can be readily transferred.
This role would suit a curious, creative designer already in a similar role or looking to move from client to agency-side. We’re a small and friendly team providing creative freedom and the chance to shape the role. Plus, you get to work with our fantastic clients – all of which make a genuinely positive impact on our societies.
We are open to full or part-time applicants and particularly encourage applications from women, disabled and Black candidates, as these groups are underrepresented throughout the creative and technology industries. We offer flexible working arrangements for parents or carers who want to balance their commitments at home.
Though mostly still working from home, we’re slowly moving back into the office as restrictions are eased, as and when each of us is comfortable, in line with national guidelines.
Key duties & responsibilities
Interface & other design, 60%
- Interpret discovery research and recommendations into beautiful, suitable user-centric digital designs
- Use Figma to create and adapt these bespoke designs for new and existing clients (Sketch or Adobe Creative Suite is also fine)
- Implement accessibility best practice including understanding differing user needs
- Keep up to date with best practices and the latest innovations in design, content and visual communication.
UX, wireframing & prototyping, 20%
- Maintain and improve our wireframing library in Figma
- Prototype designs in low or high fidelity, from sketched to interactive client-facing tools
- Work with our user research team to gather and interpret the most relevant insights for each project.
- Involved in information architecture (IA) and other workshops, while supporting clients towards solutions that meet their scope and needs
- Support the Head of Creative in pitches, costing work and client presentations
- Plan your tasks in a Kanban Agile style (we will teach you this) that meets the agreed budget and timings
- Understand and use Jira to manage your workload and prioritise tasks
- Accurately estimate and track time spent, to ensure efficient production.
- A portfolio of excellent digital design, but that might also include branding, UX or digital marketing
- Be passionate about colour theory, typography and design/UI systems
- Ideally examples translating user research and needs into great user experiences and interfaces
- An understanding of the possibilities and limitations of code and front-end development
- Have a curiosity that questions briefs, enhances user experiences and is always looking to improve our design outputs
- Motion graphics or campaign experience would be advantageous
- Experience or knowledge of branding and visual identity creation and execution digitally, would also be advantageous
- Experience of an agency environment is preferred
- An understanding of how marketing, communications and strategy relate to websites.
- Relevant design experience – degree or self-taught.
What we offer
Other benefits include:
- Profit Share (shared equally) and quarterly bonus
- 27 days annual leave, 2 volunteer days per year and an extra day of leave for each year worked (up to 5 extra days)
- Matched pension contribution up to 6%
- Dental Plan, Income Protection and Death in Service benefit
- Health and Wellbeing Budget
- Season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Dedicated training budget
- Flexible and fair working culture
- Free Friday drinks – and team lunch every month.
The role will report to our Head of Creative, Ben.
About Fat Beehive
We are a small team of about 23 who, when not working from home, work in relaxed, informal offices in a converted warehouse in Borough (London) and Ancoats (Manchester). There is often cake. There is often music playing. We don’t have a ping pong table, table football or an office dog (although an office rabbit has been suggested!).
Fat Beehive is dedicated to providing a friendly, relaxed, safe, fulfilling and fair work environment – see what it’s like. We want to create an environment where people want to come to work – one that engages them to give their best.
We’ve all chosen to work in the charity design sector because we want to help bring about positive social change – and we know that starts with us as individuals. We’re always challenging ourselves to work in a way that puts awareness of power, diversity and inclusivity at its heart.
We don’t work for oil, mining, arms, banking and sweatshops. But we do work for charities that challenge these and more. Come join us.
Complete the application form below.
We already work with selected recruiters, so ask that other recruiters don’t contact us.