Fat Beehive is seeking a skilled and creative mid-weight digital designer who is enthusiastic about problem-solving, with an ability to create user-centred solutions and delightful digital designs.
At Fat Beehive, we research, design and build websites, and run discovery and strategy workshops for charities, social enterprises and NGOs. Ideally, you would have a passion for the charity sector and a portfolio of work that reflects that.
The role will involve working with our UX/Research experts, Front End developers, and fantastic Project managers, and would suit a passionate designer already in a similar role or looking to move from client to agency-side.
Key duties & responsibilities
Interface & other design, 60%
- Interpret design briefs, discovery research and recommendations into beautiful, suitable user-centric digital designs
- Use Figma to create and adapt these bespoke designs for new and existing clients
- Implement accessibility best practices including understanding differing user needs
- Keep up to date with best practices and the latest innovations in design, content and visual communication.
UX, wireframing & prototyping, 20%
- Maintain and improve our wireframing library in Figma
- Prototype designs in low or high fidelity, from sketched to interactive client-facing tools
- Work with our user research team and project managers to interpret the most relevant insights for each project.
- Support the team in proposals, pitches, costing work and client presentations
- Plan your tasks in a Kanban Agile style (we can teach you this) that meets the agreed budget and timings
- Understand and use Jira to manage your workload and prioritise tasks
- Accurately estimate and track time spent, to ensure efficient production
- Proven portfolio of how user insights have been translated into engaging, impactful, digital designs
- Familiarity with brand guidelines and experience in applying them to create excellent design systems, with accessibility in mind
- Ability to understand user challenges and come up with creative, user-centred solutions
- An eye for design and passion for creating high-quality work in a fast-paced environment
- Confidence in owning projects and presenting to clients
- Collaborative approach to projects and a positive attitude
- Highly motivated and engaged, with excellent communication skills
- Have a curiosity that queries briefs, enhance user experiences and is always looking to improve our design outputs in brave and innovative ways
- Figma/Sketch/Adobe XD experience
- Experience of an agency environment is preferred
Getting the right person for this role is really important to us. So it’s important that we not only get to know you, but we keep the process fair. Therefore the recruitment process will be as follows:
- Apply through the form on our website, attaching a copy of your CV
- Shortlisting for an interview: this will take place by the hiring team for the role, who you would be working the closest with
- Online interview with the Hiring Team
We especially encourage applications from women, disabled people from racialised minority backgrounds, as these groups are underrepresented throughout the technology industry.
At any point in the process, if there are any reasonable adjustments that you need to help us ensure that our recruitment process is fair and inclusive, just let us know.
Closing date for applications
- Sunday 19th March 2023 at 23:59
- Interviews to be held w/c 20th March 2023
Complete the application form below.
We already work with selected recruiters, so ask that other recruiters don’t contact us.
What we offer
£40,000 salary depending on skills and experience.
Other benefits include a training budget, pension scheme, flexible working hours, and drinks on Wednesdays (because of hump day!).
95% of our clients are charities and not-for-profit organisations. We actively seek to work with this type of client and this means you’ll get to work with some very nice people indeed.
With our charity sector client base, we can’t compete with commercial agency salaries, but we feel our comprehensive benefits package (and the knowledge your work makes a difference) balance things out.
Other benefits include:
- Profit Share (shared equally) and quarterly bonus
- 27 days annual leave, 2 volunteer days per year and an extra day of leave for each year worked (up to 5 extra days)
- Matched pension contribution up to 6%, increasing to 10% after 5 years
- Dental Plan, Income Protection and Death in Service benefit
- Health and Wellbeing Budget
- Season ticket loan and cycle-to-work scheme
- Dedicated training budget
- Flexible and fair working culture
- Free weekly drinks
- Free weekly yoga & meditation classes
About Fat Beehive
We’re a small and friendly team, and you get to work with our fantastic clients – all of which make a genuinely positive impact on our societies.
We are a growing team of about 35 who, when not working from home, work in a relaxed, informal office in a converted warehouse in Borough (London) and Ancoats (Manchester). There is often cake. There is often music playing. There is often laughter.
Fat Beehive is dedicated to providing a friendly, relaxed, safe, fulfilling and fair work environment – see what it’s like. We want to create an environment where people want to come to work – one that engages them to give their best.
We’ve all chosen to work in the charity design sector because we want to help bring about positive social change – and we know that starts with us as individuals. We’re always challenging ourselves to work in a way that puts awareness of power, diversity and inclusivity at its heart.
We don’t work for oil, mining, arms, banking and sweatshops. But we do work for charities that challenge these and more. Come join us.